Saturday, April 19, 2008

Time it was and what a time it was!



I have this photograph of my mom and dad taken in 1970.
I don't have a single photo of my parents and my brothers
and me together. I know my aunts and uncles took pictures
of us because I remember that but we don't have any copies.
Preserve your memories with photographs. I remember so
many little things about my dad now that he is gone. These
little things remind me of him every day. He loved to drive
around the countryside sometimes looking for deer, other times
just driving past pastures. He loved to take care of his cows
and horses. He liked to garden and mow grass too. He just
plain liked being outdoors. He'd sit outside in his swing in
the backyard for hours. Other things I remember, he liked
to eat crackers and buttermilk, ice cream with milk poured on
it, and he loved to hunt for wild mushrooms. We shared a
hidden bag of soft-centered hard raspberry candy together.
We would hide it in the bookcase. When I was little, after
he washed his hair he would let me comb it and mess with
it. I wish I had more photos.


This is me at age four.  


Time it was and what a time it was it was,
A time of innocence a time of confidences.

Long ago it must be, I have a photograph
Preserve your memories, they're all that's left you

6 comments:

C... said...

My mom has a lot of photos that looked cracked and aged like those you have posted. Photos are such a fine window into the past.

kitten said...

Beautiful! You were a very beautiful girl! I have a few pictures of my dad on a CD that my step brother made for my dad's funeral, but it's more of their view.
Your mom and dad looked like very lovely people.

Jeanette said...

What a nice photograph of your parents. I have several of my mom and dad when they were young. Luckily I have lots of family photos from when I was a child. I cherish them.

Donna Boucher said...

Beautiful!

Pamela said...

My dad loved fresh cream on canned peaches.
And.. sometimes would spill coffee all the way through the kitchen. We would duck fast.

He would fall asleep with his glasses halfway down his nose - still holding the newspaper in front of him.

You gave me reason to reminisce.

Junebug said...

Pamela: That sounds like my dad too. He loved canned peaches, he ate watermelon with salt on it and after he was older and wore reading glasses (that he bought at Wal-mart) he could fall asleep just like that.